Thursday 23 August 2012

My thoughts on Akin and Rape.

Unless you have been socially disconnected (which if you are reading this is a very unlikely scenario), you have heard of Republican Todd Akin's comments on Rape. If you have not, then you should first hear them here.



He has publicly apologized for his statement, but obviously he believes them. He co-sponsored a bill with Rep. Paul Ryan that would make abortion (in ANY circumstance) and several forms of birth control pills illegal. This "personhood" bill would give fetuses full status as human beings under the fourteenth amendment of the United States.



Democrats and other Republicans have asked Akin to step down (including Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney), which he refuses to do. I do not know if he can be forced to step down, but many Republicans are telling him he should.



Of course he should. You do not make a statement like that, whether you believe it or not, and after the MASSIVE public backlash stay in the race. You are just begging to lose the race. He stays in for one reason, and one reason only, pride.



But, what about his statement? Is he right? Is he wrong? Well, the vast majority says he is wrong. Of course he is. There is absolutely NO scientific evidence that his statement is even remotely true. In fact, quite the opposite. He believes it, but that isn't the point.



Why is he even calling out different types of rape? Rape is rape. Period. End of Story. If a woman says no and a man forces himself on her, it is Rape. Nothing else in this situation matters. This is, I think, one of the most contentious parts of his statement. The GOP is trying to distinguish "forcable" rape from other types because it makes it easier for them to pass laws outlawing abortion.



This brings us to the real meat of the argument. Pro-Choice or Pro-Life. I stand in a unique position in this argument, and I know I am not alone, but few tend to think of the middle ground. Pro-Life people, like the GOP, are literally trying to ram their opinions down your throat. The far left Pro-Choice are saying that you can do what you want. It is YOUR body.



I am Pro-Choice. That said, I am very deeply against abortion, and consider it reprehensible. Now many will look at that statement and say, "You can't be both."



Uhhh, yes I can. I am against abortion. I think it is reprehensible, and wrong. That said, it is not my decision. It is not my place to make that decision for you, or for anyone else. I am against it, but it is your body. It is YOUR CHOICE. I think the real crime is when your freedoms, rights and liberties are taken away from you.



Pro-Lifers will argue about the child's (or fetus's) rights, but this leads to a whole new set of problems. The thing with many Pro-Lifers, is that they are so concerned with the life of the unborn child, they tend to forget about everyone else's life. Especially in the case of a victim of rape, you have a woman (or girl, as some cases of rape are with underage females) who did not plan for a child, did not want a child, and this situation was forced on her. How can you tell this person that you must now raise a child you did not want because some guy decided he wanted to get funky?



On top of that, I have dicovered that in 31 States in the United states, the father in this situation (I will call him the 'rapist') can actually bring the mother (I will call her the 'victim') to court to gain custody or visitation rights to the child. REALLY? Now, not only are you telling this victim that she must have the child, but you are also tying her to the rapist for 18 years, where she must allow the rapist access to the child she never wanted in the first place. Forcing her to associate with the man who forced himself on her against her wishes. How is this in any way right? How is this in any way Just?



There is only one answer to that question: It is NOT.



2 comments:

  1. Most would say, you could just give it up for adoption. Well, yes, technically she could but the fact is that she'd have to carry that child for at least 9 months. That is 9 months being reminded every day, every hour, every min, every second that she was raped. Do people even consider the psychological damage that can and will do? That suicide is the most likely of outcomes and not only will the child be dead, the girl will be to? How is this not even considered. It just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. I, myself, am adopted. I was not the result of a rape (my adoption records are clear on this), but that is why my personal stance is against abortion. That said, I do recognize a woman's right to have an abortion, and recognize that it is her decision, not mine.

      Delete